April is National Car Care Month and the Car Care Council reminds motorists to spring into action and follow 10 basic maintenance procedures to make sure their vehicles are running at peak performance for the summer driving season.
1. Check all fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
2. Check the hoses and belts to make sure they are not cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
3. Check the battery and replace if necessary. Make sure the connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
4. Check the brake system annually and have the brake linings, rotors and drums inspected at each oil change.
5. Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and broken supports or hangers if there is an unusual noise. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous and must be corrected without delay.
6. Schedule a tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy and produce the lowest level of emissions.
7. Check the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system, as proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and for safety reasons such as defrosting.
8. Inspect the steering and suspension system annually including shock absorbers, struts and chassis parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
9. Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
10. Check the wipers and lighting so that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation.
“Whether you visit a professional service technician or do it yourself, a thorough vehicle inspection this spring can help keep your car safe and dependable and help you avoid much higher costs down the road in the form of more extensive repairs or lost resale value,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council.
In October and April, we offer car care clinics. These clinics will help you understand the main vehicle components of your car and how they work, you’ll learn why vehicle maintenance is so important, what you should do when you get in an accident and a personalized inspection on your own vehicle, as well as many other important details about your vehicle. National Car Care Month is the perfect time to think about proper vehicle maintenance. We’re big fans of regular and preventative maintenance here at Sallas Auto Repair. This is especially true because of Kansas City’s extreme climate changes from hot, blistering summers to freezing, snowy winters. Protect yourself, your family and your vehicle by celebrating Car Care Month with us. As always, we offer monthly specials on our website. Many of these deals will help you celebrate National Car Care Month while saving you some money! To learn more about car care, email us!